Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Sarah and Ashley Rock Peru

Sarah:
Knowing that door to door evangelism was a ministry option before the trip, I was hoping I would do it on the second or third day so I could ease into everything.  Talking to strangers about my faith makes me slightly uncomfortable and talking to strangers in a different language just makes the situation even harder.  The first two houses we went to were kind of tough because we were still figuring out how to talk about God in two to five minutes. Though it was difficult, my group quickly got the hang of it and talking became a lot easier.  Towards the end of our morning, we realized we didn't have enough time to go to more houses so we stood on the street and talked to people as they passed. The last person we talked to was a girl named Flora MarĂ­a. We told her about the local church in Tombomachay and asked her if we could pray for her. She said yes but asked us how to pray. That was definitely an eye opening experience because I've known how to pray my whole life and I hadn't really thought of someone not knowing how to pray.  I definitely felt The Lord with us and it was amazing teaching people about God.

Ashley:
Door to door evangelism is awkward. For any of you parents, grandparents, or committed friends out there who don't know me, I am awkward even without having to talk to strangers for an hour about their faith. Overall, the experience improved as I began to learn more about the Peruvians lives. People are incredible and have incredible experiences just waiting to be discovered. We prayed for each person's problems and put our faith in our God to take care of their needs. Although evangelizing is awkward Peru is not! It is amazing and being taken from my comfort zone in such an overwhelmingly beautiful country is worth a million hours on planes, trains, and any automobiles needed to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment